The effect of Dormancy
I have some long days ahead of me. They are not fraught with hard work or perils. They are long because I have absolutely nothing to do in these holidays. Most of my classmates are out on a south India tour and here I am, wasting myself every day.
The college was always a nuisance to me. A place where I wouldn’t go but for the sake of getting the mandatory attendance records. Life’s been pretty hectic ever since I have joined this place. There is usually very little time to spare. There are quite a lot of things to keep me busy. I never liked being busy. I loathe writing lab records. I hate spending hours and hours in front of a drawing sheet giving shape to obscure windings and motor parts. Hell, I even used to say with pride that I would give anything to get away from the college, and to spend my time lazing away at nothing. Watching movies, reading books, eating gourmet food and playing computer games. I have always considered myself to be the essence of the word ‘laziness’.
An interesting revelation came when I came to know that our two week vacation for Onam was being extended as the class was going on a ten day industrial visit/tour. At first it was a peculiar feeling that I was missing something. I tried watching a lot of movies and moving around the town flitting from one place to another on my bike, usually accompanied by some friend.
The feeling became a sort of malaise in a few days’ time. I missed my college. I missed the dog’s work which awaited me there. A feeling that I am not being productive has invaded the interiors of my soul. I can’t wait for the classes to resume. It seems that I am not the person I know. This discovery is unnerving and funny at the same time, to say the least.
so said -Poison- the in(s)ane one @ Thursday, September 22, 2005
22 comments
No comments:
Post a Comment