Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The regional language & the honcho


Working in a place where people from different corners of the world converge, becomes a pain when certain individuals just don't get the fact that their mother tongue can be offensive when applied at the wrong moments.

There was this Algerian honcho who had flown down for a visit today, and everyone was cracking jokes and passing comments in the dominant regional language, righty there in front of him. Well meaning comments, of course. It's an office after all.

If I were in a land where the people spoke a language I didn't understand, and they started talking in their language, I would think that they are speaking about something which I am not supposed to understand. And they are doing it in front of me, kinda to make me feel right at 'home'. The honcho, however, appeared to take it in its stride and he made everyone feel well and comfy! I guess that's why he is the honcho, and the others are the...others!

5 comments:

Ashwin Raju said...

u a honcho too ;)

so you too bored aye?

-Poison- said...

ah axe..me no honcho! but am bored to the core! tryin to unbore somehow :D

~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

loved this :
The honcho, however, appeared to take it in its stride and he made everyone feel well and comfy! I guess that's why he is the honcho, and the others are the...others!

by the way , how have you been ?

-Poison- said...

hehe! ah i ve been hangin on to life, by a thread at times. but still going strong at it! these days am at madras.

Anonymous said...

I counter all the hindi/marathi speaking dudes and dudettes in office with some nice malayalam :)