Sunday, February 10, 2008

The Ox Cart


These days, there has been a recurring motif in all my dreams. A rickety cart drawn by a black and white mottled cow, making its way through black, muddy ruts, threatening to tip over every second. I would be observing the cart's unbalanced journey from a point very close to the ground. I would see the bobbing silhouette coming from the distance, shiver as it moved towards me, and finally be left puzzled on seeing the two sets of udders that the cow had, when it had passed me.

There is a certain modus operandi which can be observed when I search for pictures to illustrate my prose. I search for the picture I have in my mind (it could be say, yeti or crazy), in the Images section of Google. The first three pages of results would often suffice to satisfy my spartan needs. Today I searched for ox cart, and I happened to chance upon an ancient Van Gogh painting of the same name. It was almost a perfect match of my dream cow. The same dark settings, the same cart, the same colour of leather on the cow. I guess I might have seen the photograph of this picture sometime earlier in my life, and somehow it has been brought back to life, in my dreams, due to some wild reason. Unbelievable.

No comments: