
“This is the end
Beautiful friend
This is the end
My only friend, the end
Of our elaborate plans, the end
Of everything that stands, the end
No safety or surprise, the end
I'll never look into your eyes...again
Can you picture what will be
So limitless and free
Desperately in need...of some...stranger's hand
In a...desperate land”
(from The End by The Doors)
Francis Ford Coppola’s magnum opus begins with these tranquil lines playing in the background as a strip of jungle gets lit with fresh napalm. I am yanking these lines out their intended context and am pasting them here. My college days are drawing to an end. The finale will be the very last lab exams of the course.
There’s still one more theory paper and a course viva, to be faced before the grand finale enters the picture. I don’t know what I will be up to once this four year long dream ends. I just hope that the dream doesn’t get extended into a nightmare.
My vision has become hazy especially when I try spying the future. Predicting the future is like sailing in uncharted territory. You can chart out a course in the ocean of life and try to stick to it, hoping that the rest of the variables in this complex equation turn out to be your allies.
I am not desperately in need of a change. I have become used to this groove. This college has witnessed der untergang and the revival of my little life. I have become resilient. I ought to be thankful, I guess, to this unfeeling cluster of concrete structures and the students who define the college’s character.
In a few weeks, most of the students of my batch will be viewing College of Engineering, Trivandrum, no longer as their own. Will be witnessing it morph into yet another alma mater. People are going to be scattered around the country, like a seedpod exploding to disperse its children.
Thanks to the service industry which has absorbed most of the 2006 batch, the transition into the next change wouldn’t be too hard for the majority, as there will be lots of old faces to stand by them while the future weaves its new patterns in their lives. Many others are going to continue the pursuit of further education.
After we (provisionally) step out of this place, a new consignment of raw materials is going to enter the production line. Fresh faces might bring about a change of character to the college. Our life at CET was tumultuous. It was one great roller coaster ride. I think I am overdoing the use of the word “roller coaster” in everything that I write.
The future is uncertain. But there’s one philosophy that most CET-ians might adher to, no matter what comes in their path. Geo had written about it once. The keyword is -
Mair-Uth-Anne…
16 comments:
One more. Everybody is doing this it seems.
Well-written.N thats a really nice pic of CET...
N the song... Love it.
:)
Damn...I was saving that song for posting! >:P
Nice post though! :)
:-(
once a cetian, always a cetian...
going out of college huh? awww finale but new beginnings...
**seize the day".
was good info :) Thanks!
Keshi.
oh man ... u r so right !
2 yrs gone by , but still feels like yesterday
and i agree , it was so totally tumultous
Whether it was running to catch the coll bus with Davis , or anything else , for that matter
and believe itz gonna get placid now
tc ...
so , from next week on , u r gonna be a scared , free birdie in a dark unforgiving world
tc
awww.. I am sure pretty soon, you will know what is coming in your life, this phase is just temporary, it'll pass by u, and you won't even realize. Wish ya good luck!
like Geo had said- It doesn't even matter! there is a very beautiful song by Linkin Park called 'In The End, It doesn't Even Matter!" may be u'd like to listen to this song at this point..
Well said. Relived.
"Mair-Uth-Anne"
-period-
Have been listening to KItaro for the past hour!
Its lovely.
COOL!! i like that line "I'll never look into your eyeees again".
the photo of college look cool too! ^^
this song is a bit sad, but somehow encouraging...
wish you good luck, poichan!!
Hmmm.. I only wish i cud turn back time and feel the way i did during my college days.. the thrill of mass bunking, the mischief in passing of chits and whispering during lectures, the bond in endless conversations in the college canteens, the excitement during fests..
Golden r those days.. Cherish whatevr li'l time u hv wid ur friends n Al the Best!!
:)
..Me
hey me a ex-cetian..Life is not as as fun as in CET anytime!!
nice post..
made me nostalgic
Ah, so out of college now! Hope you will enjoy your work now :)
400% correct, boss! "Mair-Uth-Anne"! I believe the untermenschen :P TKMites of my batch had this slogan "Po Maire"....
The last days of college life were not so "hugs-n-kisses" 'coz there was this big fight and most of us adichu pirinjachu. Not a good end to four years of Masti..... Mebbe it was due to the presence of entrenched cliques in our class which prevented solidarity. Heck, I must say ours must be the most inactive e-group.... I personally (plus a cpl of other folks) tried to spice up post CET contacts, liven up the group with my brand of humor, goaded people to post updates but no dice!
Still, tons of good stuff to remember.... panchara, crushes, loves, fights, bunks,tharikidas and all that jazz. Lots of good memories that tower over the "rest". It was such an overwhelming feeling when I visited CET 2 yrs after graduation.... Ahhhhh, you will know. You will know. :)
PS: One HAS to move on, right? Other avenues to explore. Nobody wants to stay in college for more than 4 yrs do they? ;) As you said, "the dream must not be stretched into a nightmare".
Peace.
My feelings exactly...
Post a Comment