Tuesday, May 2, 2006

Siesta


The heat was building up. The midday sun was slowly moving towards the west. The big speakers in my room were blaring out random music from a long playlist. My veins were throbbing to its tunes, as I lay on the hard bed, looking at the ceiling. There was just the music and the heat. The ceiling fan whirred on, pumping the hot air down on me.

It had been a hectic morning, and I was tired. I closed my eyes to try and sneak a siesta in. The tunes were slowly morphing into something different. These aural waves began creating associated images in my mind. Each song evoked different memories in my mind, mostly shadows from the past. Some happy, some sad. Mostly sad. Sad that the past is beyond my reach now. Whatever that I did now, would be etched in history forever. Probably. Who knows, maybe some time traveler from the future will erase my existence from the past.

Some long forgotten moments popped up in the mind’s screen as the playlist progressed through its shuffled up route. Some images had lost their edges. They were blurry. The colours merged into each other as I tried to concentrate on them. It was as if they wanted to tease me, with what they held in their content. The noises were also blurring. They danced around me in their weird concentric envelopes. Each one was mocking the one within. The vibrations made my horizon a filmy haze.

Five hours later, the heavy beat of an old Michael Jackson song thawed my hibernation. The familiar whir of the ceiling fan was strangely reassuring. The budgerigars next door were in the middle of their evening chat session. I heard children screaming in glee. Probably over some kind of game that they play. Or maybe one of them had got a present, or something else had happened. I looked at the rotating fan above my head, and I blinked my eyes in quick succession. Owing to the phenomenon of persistence of vision, I could make out the three leaves of the fan, suspended in motion. It reminded me of a radioactivity warning sign.

18 comments:

Erosimian said...

hmmm.

how the heck do u study in such an environment? :-S

-Poison- said...

@ duttan -
is possible, when there is a pressing urgency for studying :)

Keshi said...

hope u had a good lil siesta Poison :)

I dun ever get that kind of time anymore :(

Keshi.

Incognito said...

Hmm Interesting..
Sometimes even when we leave the playlist at shufflemode, it churns out some meaningful-situation-type songs.. It has happened to me several times.

:) Very well described..




(The last comment was mine.
I guess, incognito.. not so anymore ;))

-Poison- said...

@ keshi -
awww...take a break keshi dear :)

@ alexis leon -
thank you :)

@ incognito -
yea..sometimes a weird pattern emerges out of seemingly random things. :)
anonymous..incognito... =))

Invincible said...

hey, that thought of similarity between fan n radioactivity sign had struck me too when i was writing a paper on radioactivity in college :)

another beautifully written post.
You know why always the bad memories tip over the happy ones? May be we always carry a guilty feeling of having fallen short/proved incompetent/made mistakes. Everyone has been thru happy times n merrymakings, plenty of it, but they alwayw lose the race. May be because they can't be 'haunting'.

aravind said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
aravind said...

What do I say, The situation seems almost palpable, As If I can feel the texture with my bare hands.

nryn said...

Hmmmm
Study leaves seem to churn out a lot of people! :P

Anand K said...

Sounds Kafkaesque!

Or maybe it's a premonition that Poison bhai's city will be nuked by the Chinese or the Pakis! ;)
See the movie Final Destination? The protagonists gets premonitions of who or what would be the instruments of their death through innocuous "signals" like these.

Be afraid.... be very afraid! :P

Keshi said...

I sure need it...

Keshi.

~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

What wont i give to go back to those days where I'd sleep from 4:45 to 5:30 , and then play badminton .. or meet up w/ the folks below ...

and @ sane ... well ... never thot u were insane :DDD

venus said...

dude, take a break, and have a blast..
all happy memories will be back in your mind :)

Anonymous said...

well-written

lost optimist..^!^ said...

not chked out the blogging world for a real long time now.. damn!! i truly missed ur insane thoughts ;)..ahh study leave is the time for dusting the cobwebs of a lotta things other than texts..ciao >:D<

Anonymous said...

radioactivity warning??
awww~ looks like it!! lollll
delete sad memories, poichan.. ^^
however this post was not sad. i felt peace of mind. thanks poichan!!

Geo said...

da, nee maryaadakkoru post idaan ethra paisa tharanam :-?

Just kidding... ur posts rock!!

(aalkkaar kalleriyum ennu)

another illusion said...

very well written!