Sunday, May 14, 2006

Man vs Vegetables

A vegetable existence. What's wrong about it?

I get to live life in fairly simple terms. The only sustained activity which can be percieved is the act of taking breaths. Each day is a clone of the day before it. Wake up. Waste time. Sleep. Wake up. Waste time. Sleep...

If we didn't have a long term memory, life would have been so refreshing under these circumstances. But somehow, our minds want to feel that they are doing something useful, something productive. But the bottomline is that we are deceiving ourselves. If we look long and hard at anything that we plan to do to make ourself useful, it suddenly turns out to be a pointless excercise after all.

Heh! For conventional running of the engine of life, we need to deceive ourselves all the time. Which means ... I don't know. Lol!

But what was I trying to express here. Ah, yes. About a veggie existence. Owing to the presence of our long term memories we usually find it hard to be in such a state. We feel dissatisfied and we set goals or at least veer off from the circle of simple life, which is the hallmark of a veggie existence. And end up deceiving ourselves. Getting rid of the long term memory regions from our brains would make us a lot less dissatisfied and a bit more happier, probably.

31 comments:

Scoot said...

True.You have brought up a great point.the more we think,the more we worry.The more we worry,the more we rot.
Great to see your pondering over a veggie existence:)

Anonymous said...

wake up waste time sleep wake up?? lololol

Thetis said...

veggies dont think... you do a lot, i see :)

Anonymous said...

Sigh!!!!!

another illusion said...

well thought and well expressed.
i totally agree with everything u've written in this post.

-Poison- said...

@ maya -
only a veggie can think of such things..n i am a veggie(i mean vegetable like not a vegetarian :D)

@ niki chan -
:D thats what i keep doin

@ thetis -
noo! i am veggie ;)

@ divya -
sigh sigh :P

@ illusion -
>:D<

hope and love said...

nice one..
:))

Keshi said...

Poison ur certainly not a veggie...cos u have loads of CRANIUM! Just look at this post :)

Keshi.

aravind said...

Ok.. I agree with what you mean by vegitable existance. But on a lighter note.. Do you have any idea about the awareness of a vegetable to compare with the monotonicity you are reffering..

The part of why we have memory is obvious. Without which our existance is like a newborn, always.

Cecilia said...

I'll share your sentiments here about how life can be such a...routine.

Do you honestly think we are deceiving ourselves when we veer away from such veggie existence? I think that such way of living is the default one...it's up to us how we modify it a bit...(skinning websites come to mind somehow)...

Anonymous said...

hmm... just one thing though... vegetables.. kept long enuff.. rot. Mayb thtz y we think.

Corsarius said...

"Heh! For conventional running of the engine of life, we need to deceive ourselves all the time. Which means ... I don't know. Lol!"

Haha! I get the feeling, and yes, we do need to deceive ourselves.

"Getting rid of the long term memory regions from our brains would make us a lot less dissatisfied and a bit more happier, probably."

Yeah, but then it'd be like living in a state of unlife. When you look at it, dogs don't have long term memories (well, just a bit, and u actions/events need to be repeated in order for them to remember), and they're quite happy to please ;)

Anonymous said...

vegetables roxx

-Poison- said...

@ h n l-
:)

@ keshi -
we are all veggies keshi dear! :D me especially since i am lazin away as my exams crawl near!

@ aravind -
i dont know about the awareness of a vegetable. u know what i meant, i am sure of that. :)

@ cecilia -
:) yeah..we modify it. everything is unique! we are deceiving ourselves cos we set ourselves immaterial goals n strive for em. but thing is we donno what 'matters' :D

@ anonymous -
we think to avoid rot..interesting PoV :)

@ corsarius -
pavlovs dogs..:D they do have a leetle bit of long term memory :)

@ spawn -
they do? :O

@ anonymous -
roxx indeed!

PS:

i ve my exams from tomoro n wont b around for a while..sayonara!

Anonymous said...

I am dug out. Long time memory? I wonder what that is. Anyway I am either boiled, fried, chipped, and finally eaten.
Well atleast I do know my purpose and serve the same.

But u humans.. without a goal u wander about..

Anonymous said...

I second potato.

mickey said...

veggies taste a lot better than us. and are wayyyyyyyyyyyy better for you. ;)

Scoot said...

so when's the next great post coming:)

Anonymous said...

well done...

~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

hey !

hope ur exams are going on fine ... or is just the preparatory "hols" now ?

~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

i didnt like tah tbook : " all u zombies "

btw , what happ to kickassso ?

venus said...

we all want a life, where we don't have to work, we can sit at home, and eat and sleep and relax, but believe me, you will get bored just in a few days with this lifestyle :)

Anand K said...

Arrrrgggghhhhhhhh!
Be a Lotus Eater? Or an Epicurean? Lobotmise my extraordinary brain?! I rather marinate in the bitter humors or bake in the fumes of all those schemes/revenges/wrongs to be righted I cooked up over the years or corrode in the lye of my caustic past rather than forget it all and live in the near present. :)

Dunno why.... memories are very very important to me. So important that I keep detailed diaries and records and pics.... This way I could always refresh myself, especially when I reach that stage where you start to forget things you should never forget.

Inkblot said...

are we talking vanilla sky or memento? perhaps 'eternal sunshine of the spotless mind' could illuminate a solution? nice post!

Keshi said...

lol ok then ur an exam-veggie :)

Keshi.

~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

hello ???

aks said...

hey poison.... lifes not that bad....jus take that first step towards changing ur routine...life will follow changing its course to suit u beautifully... nice post...kudos

~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

ting tong !

Arti Honrao said...

Zindagi kuch aisi hi hai
Iske saath na chalo to yeh aage nikal jaati hai!
V hv 2 b on our toes :(


GBU
Arti

-Poison- said...

@ potato n brinjal -
=))
=))
Well atleast I do know my purpose and serve the same.
But u humans.. without a goal u wander about..
=))

@ mickey -
oh yea! they are ;)

@ maya cassis -
:)

@ tangy -
ty

@ deepa -
yea..holidays n exams...dangerous mix..... :-<

@ venus -
u r right..i got bored :)

@ anand k -
what wud i not give to become a lotos eater..

@ inkblot -
:) three totally great movies

@ keshi -
:D
yep

@ aks -
:) change's welcome...

@ arti -
:-< gbu too :)

Inkblot said...

hmm, will chew on it and see if I like the though of havin so little to chew on and mak myself miserable..:)