One of my friends Putt had a bike accident yesterday. He and his room-mate Moda, were coming towards the college when a KSRTC bus clashed with their Bullet. The bus conductor was of the opinion that the bike was overtaking an auto rickshaw and the bus had somehow swerved to avoid a rock or a gutter…
Putt was messed up pretty bad. He needed two operations yesterday. He had to be shifted to a super specialty hospital for the second one. I believe that the best treatment possible was provided to the duo. He has to be ok in some time, once the bones heal. Moda had a fractured thigh bone. He too is ok now.
Putt is a careful rider. He doesn’t take any chances on the road, from what I’ve seen of his riding. Given the chances that I take everyday, it is statistically predictable that I too might meet with a similar shunt one day. I was riding really slowly and careful all day today. To tell the truth, I was scared.
The weather here in
My glasses were all steamy and wet, and could hardly see what was in front of me. Still I went on at a slow pace. I looked like a Neanderthal then, I suppose. I had a grimace on my face and my eyes were almost closed – a compromise between shutting out the stinging bullets of water and maintaining necessary vision.
I don’t usually fancy rains. Maybe it is that, I’ve had too many bad experiences to relate with rains. People usually like rains. Sometimes, just to look at the heavens opening their lachrymal glands, and wonder at this world that we live in. My grimace was increasing at a steady pace as the odometer counted on. My mind was also in a tunnel vision. It had the stinging rain and the traffic to cope with. All I saw was the yellow rear end of the lorry which was chugging in front of me. I was trailing it, trying to avoid direct blast of rain.
Here I was, wet to the core, rain stinging my skin, and very irritated. Suddenly, a scene from The Zahir rose up in my mind. A scene where the author undergoes a ritual initiation act; one in which he has to shed off his clothes and brave the cold wind of the Steppes. The author shivers, as the cold wind lashes his bare skin. Mikhail, his companion tells him to stop resisting the cold. Accept it. Stop fighting it…Suddenly the cold lost its overpowering sway, says the author. I decided to try that.
I accepted the bite of the rain drops. The world in front of me changed to a beautiful place. It was almost a continued sequence of moments of clarity as I kept riding in the rain. I had started enjoying it. There was a wide grin pasted on my face as it got whipped by the rain drops coming at different angles as I followed the wet road and its twists and turns. The wind was like a symphony conductor, guiding the rain drops’ trajectories to perfection, or imperfection. Nothing’s perfect they say. But, sometimes we feel that nothing’s imperfect. Crafted to perfection, even though it might appear as not. That ride was something to remember, even though I still don’t like rains.
28 comments:
u still dont like the rains?? Sad!
Here's to more summer showers....
:-)
Divs
I love rains.
The transition from grimace to a wide grin.. I guess all it takes is just a second, to change one's perspective huh? :)
The Zahir? Book? Author?
I would like to read it.
I hope your friends get well soon.
You take care too :)
i could see your dislike for rains the other day u dropped me from Fox's place...but i love rains...as long as it doesnt spoil my game of cricket in our grounds or on India's match day:P
I love rains when I've nothing to do but stare at its beauty. But it is a pain when there is work to be done. Despite that, I'll I like the rains. :-)
Hope Putts and Moda r doin ok....
U take care..
i love da rain when I'm watching it from my window... else its sux!
btw, for transport, I'll travel by the several buses our management has so benevolently been running all over trivandrum:P
First time on your blog..really enjoyed reading through your many posts. Hope your friends are okay now.
I prefer sunny weather to rain showers but I like it especially when its hot and muggy or when I am indoors with pretty much nothing to do but read and relax.
I hope ur friend gets well soon
GBU
Arti
One or the other of your friends is always admitted to a hospital, eh?
Riding in rain is something I like to do…
Just go out in a light T shirt and a jeans… and go on and on…
I too like Zahir…
Rain ride.... In a two-wheeler on Kerala roads during India rains... not my cuppa chai. :) It's been like 4 yrs since I rode a two wheeler.... my old Myl Vaahanam was this long suffering, much abused Hyundai Santro you see. And I never could "relate" to a bike as I did with the Splendour, on which I learned to roll.
Personally, I prefer to stay indoors and listen to some soothing music whenever it rains. That "Clara's Theme" piece from Thoovanathumpikal tops my list BTW.
oh that's really sad.hope for their speedy recovery.it's scorching hot and all are waiting for respite from some showers...but no clouds to be seen anywhere on the horizon:(
It is so sad to hear that your friend met with an accident.. Hope, he is doing better. Bikes are very risky, anywhere, india, usa or any other corner of the world. My dad just met with an acident last week while on bike, and learnt his lesson not to ride two-wheeler anymore. he just got saved, he has got 11 stiches right under his right eye, that too when he had an open brain surgery like 20 years back on the same right side.. I was also so upset and angry at him to hear this news. he's doing better now.
The rain, one of the most dear things I miss in India is monsoon- the first rain, a tradition to get in terraces and welcoming the rain by getting wet!! ohh, I really miss it!
forgot a little black bike with a generous rider
Eh heh! OOPS!
oooopsie, hope ur mate recovers fast...
I love the rains...not when it's reallly wild and destructive...but the gentle rain that brings a message from Heaven...tears from Heaven rather...
**But, sometimes we feel that nothing’s imperfect. Crafted to perfection, even though it might appear as not.
thats so true!
Keshi.
i love rains.. esp the summer showers
@ divs -
summer showers...i'd rather have them in a shower than from the heavens :P
@ incognito -
:) zahirs by paulo coelho
one second of clarity can do wonders to perspective..
@ Alexis Leon -
its dangerous...i m plain scared on the road now. it will wear off in some days. has happened before.
thanks :)
@ rockus -
:D hehe...i am pathologically anti rain..
@ chips -
putts n moda r getting well.
about rains, u knw why i hate em..
@ kickassso -
forgot a little black bike with a generous rider :-L
@ quills -
thanks for dropping by! my friends are getting well, so i hope..
i too like rains in the height of summer, so long as it doesnt fall ne where near me :D
@ arti -
thank you!
@ geo -
well man... :(, unfortunately yes..
riding in rain n zahir ! ^:)^
@ anand k -
:D its a thrill u can never get in a dry santro :P
@ maya cassis -
the clouds will come. and when they come in form, some people wont like their rampage..
@ venus -
thank god that ur fathers ok..
my friends getting well. going to take some time though..
@ kickassso-
grr :-w :-J
@ keshi -
tears from heaven...i feel like that at times about the rains.:)
@ hope n love -
:) relief they are when in moderate amounts.. :D
Poichan Neanderthal? lolllll
oh nooooooo! villager had horrible accident too...
his fren was hurt really bad(>_<)
abt a month ago tho.
pls be careful, wear bright color clothes like signals on such rainy days! tc.....
I am so sorry to hear about the accident. Don't take those chances and drive safe.
stop resisting the cold. Accept it. Stop fighting it…Suddenly the cold lost its overpowering sway...
I love that. It is so true! There is certain beauty in every season and situation.
hey .....
i like rains .. even like driving when itz raining ....
by the way , Shiraz bhai had an operation too ....
herez hoping for ur friends' good health !
well a nice way to feel things... when i read 'the zahir' i too wanted to try this stunt.. specially wth the cold water... but i chickened out... cant bear it :p...
will try someday i guess :)
;)))
Seems like an accident week.. Two of our juniors in my college had an accident yesterday , and..one of them died @ spot ...The other guy is in comma stage.. Its a second loss to our college in 1 week after another junior drowned to death on last monday.. :( .
Wishing Speedy recovery to Putt & Moda.
.. cohelo is rite - and when u stop fighting it... it becomes you... a part of beautiful experience.
so sad. i missed the rains by a day or two :-(
@ niki chan –
Will do niki chan…I hope villagers friend is ok now.
@ mridula-
Point noted. I wasn’t acting myself then .
@ mathias –
Kudos to Coelho!
@ deepa –
What happened to bhai?
Its been a while since i’ve seen anyone.
@ n[e]o –
Sad man…subin told me the details today.
@ jithu –
There was a drizzle today!
@ musings -
:D
nah..its not really fun. but it can be made fun ;)
hey.im 1/4th through the book..its interesting..but ebooks are no fun to read :(..
i love the rains!!..i used to dance in it when i was a kid..cant have such liberties now, people will brand me a nutcase..sad.. things we give up to act like adults..
Post a Comment